Friday, November 5, 2010

Diantie's Daily Quote - "The wise see ..."


It is an overcast day here in NYC. Dark clouds lines the sky and I can actually see the Empire State Building. The colors for the lights tonight are white, red and yellow.

Today's quote is "The wise see the Lord of Love in the Sun, rising in all its golden radiance, to give its warmth and light and life to all." Quotation Prashna Upanishad.

Happy Diwali to all my fellow Hindu devotees. Known as "The Festival of Lights", Diwali is celebrated by Hindus all over the world. Tonight we light our diyas and place them at certain areas of our home to welcome "Lakshmi" the goddess of wealth into our homes. I found this picture of a greeting card on the internet. I hope the owner don't mind me using it to show what is a "diya".

In India, thousands of people will flock to various temples to give an offering to "Lakshmi". Lots of sweet foods will prepare and eaten today. Cleanliness is imperative. Days are spend cleaning up our homes to have it ready for when "Lakshmi" comes to visit.

As a tradition, lots of people take the day off from work but today I am working. My first task at hand when I go home tonight is clean up the leaves from the driveway and the outside stairs. I will also prepare a simple vegetarian meal. I don't follow the tradition of lighting diyas but instead, I light tea candles and they burn for hours. Tomorrow I may challenge myself to prepare a few sweet things.

No comments:

Post a Comment